Now, the only thing I dislike more than a horse is a horse that gets large amounts of publicity to the point that it's treated like a human being. Barbaro was one such horse. For a while there, it was quite easy to mix up Barbaro with David Koresh (pre-Waco siege) due to the overwhelming amount of people claiming this horse as their personal savior. It was really good at running around in a loop, it beat some other horses, it broke it's ankle, and suddenly the animal becomes front page news like it just brought peace to the Middle East. In fact, after recovering from his surgery a little over a year ago, Barbaro was overheard by the scientist people that operated on him saying that he was bigger than Jesus Christ. Yessir, I hate this horse in particular more than other regular horses. And I know I'm not the only one.
So during one of my neurotic, thrice-daily check-ups on Philly.com, I found this:

Your "beloved" Barbaro? Oh please, lady. I may not like horses, but I agree with people who do like horses: if you truly care for a horse, you won't race 'em. It's that simple -- horses that race other horses around a loop too much end up making millions of dollars for their owners but end up with a lifespan equivalent to that of a fruit fly. If Barbaro was truly "their beloved", they would've let it sit around the house and watch TV all day, not raced him until his legs shattered into bone dust.
No, Barbaro was beloved because he was worth more than all the veterinarians that operated on him, combined. That's why they kept him alive for eight months longer than they should have, and that's why the Inquirer and Daily News keep revisiting this ridiculous story each time they're given the chance (it's his birthday! it's the anniversary of his win at the Derby! it's the anniversary of the day he broke his ankle! it's the anniversary of the day he broke wind!)
I have no statistical evidence to back this up, but I imagine that a newspaper with Barbaro on the front would sell better than one with Michael Nutter on the front. In fact, to expound on a thought from yesterday, Barbaro could probably beat Chaka Fattah, Milton Street, and Mumia Abu Jamal in a race for mayor (but not in a regular footrace -- everyone knows that Chaka Fattah would whup the shit out of that horse).
6 comments:
You Bet. Barbaro would have been a better canidate them any of the names you mentioned. He was not bigger than Jesus Christ, but Christ's Father let him be known to us. And leave his owner's be. They were very humane and tried to save him. It was more than most people would do. He was a beautiful and magnificant horse who loved to race. Because of his dismiss, the racing world is changing. There is no reason in the world for you to hate him. He did nothing to you. For you to take out the time to show your hatred for you has questions in itself. LET HIM BE!!!!!
I have read the article " Shut up about the horse" And in my humble opinion this person who posted this article, may have been an animal lover...and that is a stretch. I noticed the insults to the Jackson family, the vetinary doctors, staff and by deduction...the University of Pennsylvania School of Vetinary Medicine.
First I shall address the horse: "Barbaro". He was a very good choice for a triple crown winner. IF this person had checked the statistics they would have known that Barbaro had the largest victory in the Kentucky Derby in decades. Barbaro flew and we had every reason to place our hopes and dreams on that horse as the first Triple Crown winner since "Affirmed" in 1978. And has the bitter person forgotten...while the Jackson's did everything they could to help their horse...they advanced medical science to a point of helping many other injured animals.
Perhaps this person should check the history of horse owners who ONLY care about the money...look at what happened to "Alydar"...that horse ran second to Affirmed and lost the triple crown in 1978 by maybe 2 lengths total in three races? A magnificient race horse...but did the heirs take care of this horse? NO , he was killed and people went to trial over this. Real live humans went to trial over what they did to collect insurance money. Guilty!
Now, how were the Jacksons compared to that? Yes, they tried to save their horse. Maybe they even wanted to be able to breed Barbaro...but I will never believe that that was their only motivation. Why would it be? THey have enough money. Is it possible that maybe they cared not only about their horse...but also about helping all injured horses..and what about the auction on Barbaro's saddle that brought in over $ 200,00 for injured jockeys?
I refute this person's bitter point of view. I detour now to America...Spring 2006...look at what we were and are dealing with...Death/Destruction/Possible Defeat in Iraq. Our nation has suffered many losses but we are not broken, because we have faith in our country. Has this bitter person ever considered that perhaps..."Barbaro" was a symbol of hope for this country? If he could make it...all things were possible. Has this person ever considered that many people who cannot enjoy "track" excitement or horse ownership can love these magnificient anilmals form afar.
If we attributed any human qualities to this horse, perhaps it was because we needed a hero to LIVE.
Don't trash the Jackson's and Dr. Richardson and his staff until you have walked a mile in their shoes...yes their human shoes, not their horse shoes!
Get over yourself. IF your point is the inhumane racing of animals, then state it. But do not bring down a wonderful racing establishment, an elitie vetinary medicine program and insult all the people who believed. We wanted that horse to live. He was a symbol and shall remain so.
You folks are deifying a horse.
Nott deifying a horse. Simply loving what GOd has given us on this beautiful earth.
Ans to the nast person that wants us to shut up about Barbaro...well alot of people are remembering him today, the end of his racing career and that heartbreaking moment at the Preakness.
I know my post was a largely facetious one that didn't really merit reading in the first place, but you folks aren't even looking at it before you post your copy-and-paste "down with the Barbaro haters" replies.
You're not addressing my major points-- you're just telling me that I shouldn't criticize the owners, the horse, the symbol the horse has become, the doctors (which I didn't), and the racing establishment itself?
Post a Comment