One of my favorite television programs, The Sopranos, wraps up this Sunday. If you're a fan of the show like I am, you're going to be glued to the set for the finale of one of the best written, acted, and produced programs in the history of the boob tube. I'm not exaggerating when I say this, either: from the beginning, each episode has been treated like a short, one-hour long movie documenting the life of TV's anti-hero king. The show, originally pitched to Fox as what was essentially going to be a Goodfellas TV show (Ray Liotta turned down the role of Tony and Lorraine Bracco originally auditioned to play his wife, Carmela, before accepting the role of Tony's psychiatrist, Dr. Melfi) under the title "Made In America", has morphed into a chilling drama / dark comedy about Tony Soprano, his family, and his Family. It has created some of my favorite characters, only to kill them off at the end of each season, all while paying tribute to the great mob movies. By the way, "Made in America" is the title of the final episode this weekend - take that, Fox.
I can't emphasize enough that if you haven't ever watched the show before, you shouldn't tune in for the last hour this Sunday at 9. Poor idea. If you have any intention of going back to season 1 and starting at the beginning, this last hour could ruin six and a half seasons of the best show on television for you.
Since I'm feeling all nostalgic about this show, check out this clip from the pilot I found on Youtube. It's weird to see James Gandolfini looking this skinny, as he's about twice this size now towards the end of the show. (The rumor was that the weight gain was written into his contract, as Tony was supposed to grow physically in proportion to his greed and penchant for violence.) The tone of everything is a lot less upbeat, nowadays, too -- but there are still little clues even from this scene that keep popping up in scenes seven years later. I mean, check out Christopher's baseball cap - and listen to Tony rant on about the "degenerate gambler" they're whaling on....
edit: OK OK check out this classic scene, also from Season 1:
And while we're at it, this: a short compilation of all the "OHHH"s and "AYYY"s in the entire show:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so gutted that the Sopranos is coming to an end. I hope Tony sorts out Phil Leotardo on Sunday night :)
i might start watching this show now. i never had time for it, but i hear nothing but good things
Post a Comment