Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dumb internet memes, local indie bands, and Rolling effing Stone

Joey just sent me this link, via Philebrity, of a video on Rolling Stone's website that features local act The Teeth. Of particular interest to us is the setting for the first half of the video, which just so happens to be the music library of our old station, WCUR. Early on in Joey's and my reign of terror at that station, we decided to heft those huge shelves full of vinyl you see in the background out of the middle of the room and against that back wall so that bands could play in there. We also went on a somewhat rabid search for cheap used couches to place in that areas so that bands could also sit. Anyway, what I think this all boils down to is that WCUR just made a cameo in Rolling Stone, which means that it's not cool to like that place anymore. Shame.

In other news, I almost decided to make a habit out of reading Philebrity, which I hear a lot about, but decided not to based on the title of their Rolling Stone / Teeth post: "OH HAI, IM IN UR SCENE, PUTTIN UR BANDZ ON VEEDEE-OH". Mmm....no. Not even in jest. No, sorry.

Link: [Philebrity]
Link: [Rolling Stone]

1 comment:

Joey said...

I heard WXPN is the new WCUR. Have you heard anything about this? How did yr show go?

Also, the real reason to not like Philebrity is because they make fun of WXPN...

They actually make fun of everyone/everything and that's why I like them.

The title of that post I think was a reference to VICE Magazine's recent interest in Philly bands.