Monday, February 12, 2007

The "Hoohaa" Monologues?

Really?

"We decided we would just use child slang for it. That's how we decided on Hoohah Monologues," Pfanenstiel said.

They did this after a driver who saw it complained to the theater, saying she was upset that her niece saw it.

"I'm on the phone and asked 'What did you tell her?' She's like, 'I'm offended I had to answer the question,'" Pfanenstiel said.
There's this phrase, see, that adult use when children ask them uncomfortable-to-answer questions. It's called "ask your mother," and it conveniently removes any obligation from having to answer said questions, or to get offended about it. Certainly public censorship should be the absolute last course of action for a person that can't even be bothered to string together a decent explanation about vaginas to their ignorant little offspring...right?

Seriously, though, what child old enough to read signs and form coherent English sentences about them doesn't know what a vagina is? What about the word "vagina" is offensive to the person forced to talk about them?

I don't know, maybe if the production was called "Stories About My Cunt" -- then maybe this lady would have a point.

4 comments:

e. Styles said...

Hilarious and inappropriate! Maybe something that rhymes would be more digestible. I don't have any suggestions, because at this time of day, I'm not too creative. I'll think about it, and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

They shouldn't be allowed to put on the play without the original title - this completely backstabs the author's intent. "Stories About my Cunt" would actually fit in quite well. FYI for those in the West Chester Area - The VAGINIA Monologues will be on Feb. 23 and 24 at 7:30 in Asplundh Hall. TJ? You've never seen it, right?

Joey said...

The title The Vagina Monologues suggests the image of a talking vagina. That can be an offensive image. How does a mother explain that to her child?

Jamie said...

i saw them cover this on The Jimmy Kimmel show. they interviewed some guy who looked like a hick and he was explaining the thing about child slang. And Jimmy came back and was like, "So how about when the child says, 'Mommy, what's a hooha'". Then what? The mom says, "A vagina"? Really it makes no sense at all.

Besides "hooha" is a funny word. The chances of a kid seeing "hooha" and repeating it over and over again have got to be WAY higher than that of a boring word like "vagina."